In this podcast we speak with David Philp MSc BSc FICE FRICS FCIOB FCInstCES FGBC Chartered Construction Manager.
David is the Director of Digital Consulting, Strategy & Innovation (Europe, Digital) at AECOM and a Professor (Honorary) Heriot Watt – University.
David discusses the impacts of BIM and Digital Construction to date. As well as a look at how things are maturing to describe and measure the VALUE from a whole life approach to digital transformation for the built environment. 'Value' of course, potentially, meaning very different things to different people / stakeholders, this is discussed also [see links 1, 2, 3 below].
With over 25 years in industry David is a Chartered Construction Manager by background and Director - Digital Consulting, Strategy & Innovation for AECOM. He was previously employed by Mace as Head of BIM, and as Technical Services / BIM Programme Director with Balfour Beatty.
David has been involved in delivering innovative BIM and digital asset management strategies across the globe from UK, Hong-Kong, Singapore, Australia and the Baltics. He was seconded in the UK Cabinet Office in 2011 as Head of BIM Implementation and has been a key contributor to the UK public sector BIM mandate (GCS 2011-2016) and continues to support through his role as Impact Director at the Construction Innovation Hub. He was also seconded into the Scottish Future Trust (SFT) as Chair of the Scottish BIM Delivery Group.
He is a fellow of ICE, CIOB, RICS and CInstCES and also Vice Chair of the Construction Scotland Innovation.
Main Links for Value:
1 - ESG - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental,_social,_and_corporate_governance
2 - Four Capitals Model
• natural capital (including of living and non-living components)
• social capital (including relationships, norms and institutional components)
• human capital (including knowledge, experience and wisdom)
• economic capital (including cash and economic assets)
3 - Triple Bottom Line - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_bottom_line
Events Discussed or Relevant:
• Digital Construction Week (DCW) - https://www.digitalconstructionweek.com/
• GEO Business - https://www.geobusinessshow.com/
• UK Construction Week - https://www.ukconstructionweek.com/
• London Build - https://www.londonbuildexpo.com/
• OFFSITE EXPO - https://www.offsite-expo.co.uk/
Other Website and Resource:
• UK BI
We want to build everyone’s digital knowledge with content and conversations to inspire and instigate 'Better Information Management' to enable - better decisions, better infrastructure, better services and better outcomes for our social, economic and environmental infrastructure.
More podcasts: http://bim.tube